One of the things I’ve learned this year: it is SO easy to get sucked into distractions, or to spend time on things that—if we’re being totally honest—matter a lot less than we like to believe.
One thing I started doing this past year was put to together a NOT TO DO LIST. Here’s a list of some things I’ve added in 2017.
Again, it’s been my experience that these things can FEEL productive, but usually they don’t “move the needle forward” in your business.
Running and growing a business is all about MOMENTUM. Here are some things that I’ve learned can slow down that momentum:
- I will NOT post in FB groups asking them to tell me what business name / logo / branding colors they like the most for my business.
- I will NOT waste time trying to figure out the best times to schedule social media posts.
- I will NOT get so caught up in reading books and resources that I neglect to implement what I’ve already learned and read.
- I will NOT check email or social media first thing in the morning.
- I will NOT spend time comparing myself to others in my field.
- I will NOT try to appease every possible lead, even if they’re a bad fit.
- I will NOT let the fact that parts of my business and branding are “under construction” delay when I launch and offer services.
- I will NOT spend time trying to DIY a part of my business that I can afford to delegate.
- I will NOT allow myself to get overly stressed out by fears of future events that have not happened yet.
- I will NOT get distracted by shiny objects and technology that I’m subconsciously using as a distraction to avoid doing the hard work in my business.
- I will NOT freak out when things go wrong, because my business grows and gets stronger from lessons learned.
What about you? What things are you going to stop doing for a happier and more productive 2018?
Note: this was originally posted in our Facebook group, Friends of Indie Law. Join and learn alongside 6,000+ other creatives and business owners!